Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hatitude....

Think I am kidding? Go to Google, or any search engine, and type in hatitude. It is here to stay! I am sure for some people it has always existed, but it is now being embraced by many.

What is it? Well, it is something different for each individual. It applies to both men and women. Some adorn a favorite dress, outfit or suit with a certain hat. Others just wear any hat cause it makes them feel good about themselves. Some may want to copy the past hat weare's, such as Sinatra, Bogart and the Mob. Others of us, however, enjoy the mystic feeling which comes with owning and wearing a vintage hat. When I put on my fedoras I wonder where each one has been If they could talk what a story they would tell. I also wonder how proud the original owner was when he bought and wore this particular fedora. For some of my hats I do know a little about their past, but for the majority, I just know the age of the hat. One of my latest finds is a black Richmond Brothers fedora which was purchased in 1954 by a lady for her husband. This hat came with a red feather, which it still has, and the husband felt it was to loud. So he left it in the box and never wore it. There daughter was cleanig up after the mom died and she came across the hat, She asked her father if he still wanted it and he said she could have it. She did some research and found it to be vintage so she put it up for auction on EBAY. I won that auction. She sent me the hat and it's original box which still had the tissue paper inside. I gave the box to my dad with a different hat inside. You may think that anyone can come up with a story to sell something, and I agree. However you cannot put the gold lettering inside the hat or the year on the box. Oh yeah i ALSO got the original price tag inside the hat. i don't consider myself a collector, I just enjoy owning and wearing my old hats. It is my hobby.

While I do have hatitude, I won't wear a fedora which has a brim larger than 2'. All my fedoras have a brim of 2'' or less. I guess just how that man felt out of place with the red feather, I feel the same about wide brims.

Hatitude, yes i HAVE IT AND i INTEND TO WEAR IT PROUDLY. wHEN THE GLAMOUR AND FAD WEAR OFF FROM ALL THOSE WHO HAVE JUMPED ON THE BAND WAGON OF WEARING FEDORAS, THOSE OF US WHO WEAR THEM FOR THE WAY THEY MAKE US FEEL ABOUT OURSELVES, WILL CONTINUE TO WEAR THEM WITH HATITUDE....

No comments:

Post a Comment