Thursday, April 8, 2010

New phone...

I want to speak about my new cell phone. It is an LG UX310, the ux just means that US Cellular is my service provider, so the phone is really an LG 310.

I got it as an upgrade, and because my contract was about to expire. I have been with US Cell for over 6 years and I have a very good deal going on, so I really have never considered changing it. I never use my minutes up. Even when I got a little crazy and would speak to a lady in Naperville, I did not go over my minutes. Man am I glad I am no longer crazy. Well, that is a topic for another century.

About the phone...as a blind person there are certain things I look for in a phone. The most important one is a talking caller ID. Most phones have voice commands but not many have voice alert. This item tells you the name or number of the person calling. I comes clearly through the speaker phone. On other phones you can set a certain tone for each group or individual caller, but you won't be told the number of a caller. I can set this feature to just say the name or name and ringer or name and vibrate. This is a must have with me. If I don't want to speak with the caller I don't have to. Without this feature since I cannot see the screen, I would have to answer every call. The keypad is large and easy to use. I have never had a problem dialing numbers. I always get used to whatever the layout is. I really wonder why people need to look at a keypad or for that matter a keyboard, in order to dial or type.

This phone also allows me to check for missed calls or any voicemails I may have. I am given the audible option to call back the missed caller or to call voicemail and listen to my saved mail. All of these can be accomplished with just the touch of one button and your voice. I also set my most called numbers with their own speed dial. There are a few things that LG has removed from their phones which I believe to be a mistake. These are, phone status and audible digit readout. The phone status feature would tell you the current GPS mode and the battery life on the phone, the audible key feature would let you hear the number or letter you were pressing. Oh, I almost forgot, they also removed a feature which would allow you to add,delete, read a contact. The last phone to have these features was the ux390. I don't know why they stopped placing these features on their phones. I think I am going to email them about it.

Overall this model is good. It would be great if it included those missing features.

No comments:

Post a Comment