Monday, July 12, 2010

When a family member dies...

There are those who may not consider an ex-father-in-law as a family member, but if you know anything about me from reading my blog, you know that I don't abide by what others think or don't think is a proper course of action.

I have always considered Jan's family as my family also. I will always feel this way. This brings me to the point of this post. My father-in-law passed away this Saturday, July the 10th. at 7:11 p.m.

Jan and I stood by his bedside as he left this earth and all the pain was left behind. Jan held her Dad's hand as she told him how much she loved him. It was very peaceful. It was a sad moment but at the same time it was a very special moment which I am grateful Janet allowed me to share with her.

Death of a loved one is something I will never get used to. I have lost many close friends and family, including my Mom, however, I feel the terrible feelings as if they were new. And in fact they are new. I say that because each individual had their own private and unique space in my heart. I loved them for different reasons and of course in different ways. But I did love them. I feel for the family since the loss is deeper for them, or is it? I am not judging anyone, I just wonder sometimes...

I am glad that I was there with Jan and for Jan. She loves her Dad and the loss was painful. She is a strong woman and she probably did not need me there, so I am grateful to her for allowing me to be with her through this. I would have gone anyway since I do care for the family, but It meant so much more being there in support of Jan. I can also include my son and daughter. It may not sound like a big deal, but Janet me and Anthony and Jen, were the only family represented by parents and grandchildren. It is not a big deal just an observation. It actually was fitting since they are the oldest of his grandchildren.

I hope that the healing time for Janet is a short and easy one. I hope I have been able to express to her my willingness to be there for her whenever and for whatever....

No comments:

Post a Comment