Saturday, November 20, 2010

Do you need a reason?...

I was thinking of how families seem to only get together when the calendar suggest they do. You know, holidays and such. I wonder if back in history people invented such days just to have a reason to get together. I know that merchants really take advantage of the holidays and birthdays to promote their products. There are certain items which are difficult if not impossible to find when the holidays are gone. As an example, I love these butter cookies that come in a round tin container, they are delicious and only available during the Christmas holiday. There are certain candies which are only sold during Halloween. So certainly store owners enjoy the fact people look forward to celebrating the holidays.

The food enjoyed during the holidays is also very special. It seems that every ethnic group has a special dish or two for each particular holiday. I don't mind that at all since you can go to different restaurants and expect to find and array of choices.

Getting back to my main topic, do we really need special dates to get together? I don't think so, but trying to convince the majority would be very difficult. Maybe as the years go on someone will make a day for "Just Because,"" the greeting cards are already out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment