Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Getting older, or better?

You know when I was a kid there were styles that I used to like a whole lot but never really got into them cause I would get laughed at. I have always liked the newsboy caps, in my hood we would call them 'Dago' Caps" since mainly the Italians would wear them I mean no disrespect to them, I now wear these caps on a regular basis. I recall my first cap, it was a grey tweed. I thought it was so cool. I was about 9 years old. I wore that cap everywhere. I stopped wearing it when some folks started making fun of me. Believe it or not, these folks were not kids, they were adults who should have known better. But if you were raised in a Puertorican environment, you know how much shit people talk.

Well, I figured I would wait til I was older to sport my hats. I own these in various colors. I still think they are cool. But now I am adding a style of hat which I have been waiting a longer time to wear. The reason for this is because the hat I am talking about is a gentlemens hat. I am talking about the Fadora. This type or style of hat has mainly been worn by older gents. I am now fully qualified to call myself an older gent, so with that said I will wear my Fadora with pride. My first of these hats is a white Panama fadora. I am wearing it right now. It is white with a black band. It was hand-made with products from ecuador. Next I am going to get a black wool fadora. This type of hat was made popular by the Gangsters and the actors like Bogart and Sinatra. Hey if they could sport a fadora, so can I.

I think that this style of hat is coming back into style since when I was doing my research on them, I found a lot of info directed at the younger crowd. I don't care if they are coming back or not. I am wearing mine cause I deserve and have earned the right to wear what I want to wear no matter who likes it or not. Hey and if you are a pretty woman, I will tip my hat to you when you enter the room...

No comments:

Post a Comment