Monday, October 11, 2010

Vintage...

Vintage, this is a very interesting word. At least it is to me. I have notice how people use it to describe something old which carries some value, whether that value is sentimental or a monetary value. I have been shopping for fedoras online, my search has educated me on not only fedoras and their place in our society, but also the pride of wearing a vintage one. I normally don't ever consider purchasing a used item which is to be worn by me, I will by a used computer or phone, but never clothing. Well, not til recently, I found some vintage fedoras dating back to the '50's and '60's, which I could not pass up. I recieved one in the mail which feels and looks as new as the day it was purchased. Someone really took great care of this hat which shows the value it had for it's previous owner. Yes, I know that the previous owner is most likely dead, but so what? I will wear his had-me-down with pride as he once did. I have ordered a couple of more which I found online and I hope they are in the same condition as this one. I did not pay a whole lot for these, but I believe that the quality surpasses that of the fedoras today, or at least I am now aware that to purchase a fedora such as the one I now have at today's prices I would have to pay over $150. So you see vintage is not junk. I even find myself thinking about all the places this hat was worn to by it's original owner. If this hat could talk, man I am sure it has plenty of stories. Well, now it belongs to me and I don't know for sure but I believe it gives me the same feeling it once did to another gent.

So much talk about a hat you might think I am nutts. Well, maybe I am but I certainly am having fun learning about them and their origin.

I love to learn and not everything we learn needs to be earth shattering. Simple things and the reasons behind them interest me very much. When a story can be written about a piece of clothing, I think that is pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment