Monday, October 18, 2010

The white cane..

Last Friday, October the 15th., was white cane awareness day. I appreciate having a day set aside for folks who are blind or visually impaired. But did you know there was such a day? Did you know on Friday it was such a day? Chances are you did not. This is not your fault, not enough people are aware of this. We need to be more public about it. It would be a good thing since many folks out there not only did not know of the white cane day, they don't seem to even know what a white came carried by a person means. I can freely say this since I am blind and use a white cane. I have experienced on more than one occasion where my having a white cane means absolutely nothing to a driver or a person walking. It really is upsetting since I don't feel I should have to explain what the white cane means. The use of a white cane by the blind is international so there is nothing different from my white cane or that of a person on the other side of the world.

What does a white cane mean?

Well, a white cane first of all aids a blind person or visually impaired person to identify objects in his or her path. Finding curbs, stairs, doorways and ramps are just a few. What should it mean to you? It should let you know the the individual with the cane cannot see you, that he or she may need a little extra time to find the up curb or sidewalk while crossing the street. While most of us are fully aware of the flow of traffic and would not walk into traffic, it is your responsibility to look out for me. You must come to a stop if you see me crossing the street. Don't start blowing your horn as if to indicate I should not be in the street. I will not forgive you if you hit me with your car. And if you kill me it is your fault even if I am in the middle of the street. So if you aren't aware of the laws regarding the use of a white cane, then first you should not be driving, and if you want to keep your priviledge to drive, then I suggest you read up on the white cane laws and while you are at it, read up on blindness...

No comments:

Post a Comment