Monday, January 18, 2010

High priced?

I want to speak about items that are made for use by the visually impaired and blind community, regardless of where in the world one may live.

The fact is that in the U.S.a over 70% of those with these disabilities are unemployed. Most live on a fixed imcome. I am sure that it is probably the same or worse in other countries. However, I believe that one of the reasons why items such as the Talking GPS, Screen-Readers, Note takers and other technology is so expensive is of course because of the cost of developing and manufacturing the item. Having said that though, GPS units for the normal population are extremely advanced, some even with voice command features, and you can find those for as low as $150. I am sure that it cost plenty to develop and manufacture these also. The difference is as I see it, that thousands of people purchase these on a daily basis, in comparison to a hand full of blind folks buying the same item configured for the blind. If we the blind community could flood the market with demands for certain items and have the means to buy them, chances are that we would see the cost decrease dramatically. It is a matter of supply and demand. I share the feeling of not wanting charity with many visually and blind folk, so we are not asking for a hand out by any means, just a small break. As far as GPS is concerned, I strongly believe that soon the market will have a unit that will be adapted for the blind. I am not talking about the Trekker, that is already out there, I am talking of a unit made by a company who does not necessarily cater to the blind.

I will end by stating that in the 1970's I purchased a talking watch that hung on a keychain from a local store for the blind. I paid $20.00 for it. By the end of the '70's, the same unit was being sold to the public with a 60 second recorder for $5.00. Why? Supply and demand!

No comments:

Post a Comment