Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Jibaro parents...

I was born in Chicago, il. But in my heart I feel as Puerto Rican as a Coqui. My parents were born and raised in the hils of Puerto Rico, the reason I call them Jibaros. I say that with the deepest respect and pride. They both came from the poorest of conditions. My mom haveing a blind dad and her mother passing-away while my mom was only 18.

In the early 1950's they traveled to the United States to make a life for themselves and their families. My dad came in April of 1950 and my mom in July of 1953. They were not married yet. In fact they did not know each other. Maybe as kids in passing they may have mett, but not a close friendship. My mom had little time to play, she had to help with the raiseing of her younger brothers and sisters. And my dad had to milk the cows and deliver   the milk   before he could go to school. My mom was never allowed to go to school.

They arrived here in Chicago knowing only their handfull of family members and not much else, aside from the desire to make a better life for themselves and their loved ones. They did not read or write the language, in fact, my mom having no formal education, did not read spanish either. They were brave,  only being in their early 20's in a strange country where prejudice was very much alive.

They found work and started on their journey to a better life. My dad worked for the railroad before settling in a candy factory, where he worked for the next 41 years of his life. My mom workde in a factory for a little while until in February of 1954, she and my dad married. She then started the job of raiseing a family while still helping her dad, brothers and sisters.

My Dad learned on his own how to read english by reading the sports pages of the newspaper. He really loved sports and still does. My mom taught herself how to read in spanish reading the Bible.

They not only fulfilled their dreams, but helped others to achieve theirs. They provided a home for my sister and me, filled with love and pride.

So as you may well understand how it is with so much pride that I call my parents Jibaros and I consider myself a Puerto Rican.

With love and PRIDE I dedicate this blog to my dad Luis Antonio Colon and my mom Maria Judith Rivera de Colon...

No comments:

Post a Comment