Sunday, January 17, 2010

Technology gives people power...

I don't want to focus in on how great technology is, I have done that before and surely will again, but today I want to zero in on those companies who use the technology they have to make insane profit from those who can least afford it.

In particular I want to speak of AI squared, the company that has developed products such as ZoomText, which is a screen-reading program. I own my copy of ZT. I recently upgraded my version to the latest one. Prior to doing so I downloaded a trial version of the upgrade to see if It was worth purchasing. I found many excellent improvements in the upgrade. Being bilingual I have been trying to install a spanish voice to my program. After downloading ZT domestic version, I was happy to find spanish voice downloads available through AI squared. I use these different voices to switch between text I am reading depending on the language used to write it. Well, I purchased my upgrade and activvated my trial version with the proper serial number and to my bitter surprise, my spanish voices wher gone. I checked my installed programs and found they were still there. However, they did not work on ZT. So, I uninstalled the voice and tried to reinstall it through the ZT site. The download began and then stopped with the message that in order to use these voices I would need the International version of ZT. I am ok with that, but if the voice is not to be made available to those of us with the domestic version of 9.1, then the voices should not appear on the trial version. How much could it possibly cost AI squared to allow these voices to those of us who could benefit from being able to switch between languages? As with most technology created for the blind and visually impaired, it is over priced. My own belief on this is that the companies cater to government departments such as the dept. of Rehab. services who care very little about the cost of an item since it is tax-payers money which is to be spent.

Yeah, it may sound as if I am making a big thing over nothing, but to me it is not a small matter. What do I expect AI squared to do about this, absolutely nothing. Will I continue to use their product? Yes, and they know this so they will continue to charge as they do. By the way, I did not get my copy of ZT through a government grant of any kind, it was purchased with my own U.S. currency.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    ZoomText is a superb program, but I appreciate your point. Overseas countries can only sell the interational version, which is at a higher price. In effect, the US market is getting a discounted version compared to the rest of the world.

    As with any AT supplier, they are not a charity. They are a business and should be allowed to make money. Whilst the price may seem high, they need to fund ongoing development of the product to keep it up-to-date. Cheaper alternatives asre around, but, as I am sure you are aware, ZoomText is the best. Also, they do not (unnecessarily) bring out new versions (with minor tewaks) every year, as most other AT suppliers do. The 'minor' updates are free-of-charge and often include superb new features ond new OS support. New versions are only released roughly every 2-3 years.

    AiSquared are a leading company, and the competitors mostly rip off their developments. Whilst cost is an issue, you don't want to buy something and it not work for long or not be stable.

    I don't mean to be short with you, but us overseas often see that those in the US get cheaper pricing.

    I have nothing but high regard for these guys, and whilst not having much money (I did pay for it myself), find ZoomText worth every cent. If you do not feel the same then try something like the Dolphin Lunar Plus magnification product which is a little cheaper, and you are likely to change your mind pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete