Thursday, December 10, 2009

It sure is cold, but...

I am alive to feel it. I have a warm home and I know that no matter how cold it is, it will get better.

You know this cold brings back memories of when my sister and I would take the Damen bus to school and back. We would hide behind some shrubs on the side of the building to break some of the bitter winds. We would take turns running to the sidewalk to see if the bus was coming so we would not miss it. There were days when I felt as if we were going to die from the cold, but we did not, we lived to see another day.

We weren't spoiled since we did not own a car until much later. Anywhere and everywhere we went was on the bus. We waited in spring, summer, fall and winter. And don't think the buses were like today, their heating left a whole lot to be desired. But, at least it protected you from the bitter wind. I recall getting home and taking off my boots and socks which sometimes wher wet, and I would stand by the floor register to warm up, actually I would stand on the register to thaw out. I don't ever want to get that cold ever again in my life. God Bless all those that aren't as fortunete as I am.

1 comment:

  1. this is a terrific example of how we are all storytellers. this could be in any fiction book because your recall is so vivid i can see everything that you mention. the emotion you have invested in these memories also makes it so much more complex than you simply taking the bus in the cold. this is beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete