Thursday, December 17, 2009

A year ago today...

Yes, it has already been a year since my Dad was hit by the 'sUV on 79th. I recall that day very well. I had taken my then guide dog Kyliek, to the vet. I was making a pot of beef stew, when I heard the front door bell ring. When I answered it thinking it was my father, since this would be his normal time to arrive, a young man handed me a bag and said here's your lunch, I brought it cause your dad was hit by an SUV down the street. I recall just wondering if he was dead or alive. I threw my lunch on the recliner and asked the guy, how was my dad, and I told him that I was blind, something I point out to people since I don't know if they can tell just by looking at me, I asked him to please take me where the ambulance was. I yelled out to my son Dave what had happened and left. When I got to where my dad was the guy that drove me there told me his name was George as he pointed out the groceries on the ground that my dad was bringing home. I really did not care about that, I just wanted to see how he was. I was helped into the ambulance where my dad was on the cot being checked by the paramedic. I went by him and told him I was there, not knowing if he had noticed or not. The paramedic girl said I needed to sit down since they were going to drive him to the hospital. I answered some of her questions, as I tried to reassure my dad that he was going to be okay, actually I think I was trying to convince myself. We arrived at the hospital and he got all the attention you would expect a 79 year old man would get after being struck by a vehicle.

I could tell by the answers my dad was giving them that he was not all there. I did not panic since I knew that I had to be strong. I called my children and informed them of what happened, and told them to be calm that everything was going to be okay. I recall telling Dave to turn off the beef stew since I had forgotten to do so.

Janet was the first to arrive to the ER room since she works at Christ, the hospital where my dad had been taken. They were already taking x-rays and making sure nothing was visibly broken. I sat in a chair and let them do their work.

Well, It is one year later and my dad made it through all of that. Right now is almost the exact time this all took place last year, and just like that day I don't know where my dad is, He goes out everyday with his Church and I don't ever know if he is coming home on the bus or is getting a ride. I am happy to say that he has pretty much recovered from the accident. I only hope I am as strong as he is when I am 80!!

No comments:

Post a Comment