Monday, December 7, 2009

Something the snow reminded me of...

The first real dusting of snow this year happened over night. You would think my Dad had never seen the stuff before the way he was calling my granddaughters, or was it the whole neighborhood?

Well I do admit that the first snow looks nice. But I have shoveled so much snow in my life to last me for a long time.

One thing I do recall was when I was in King School in the 6th. grade. My teacher, Ms. Lytle, was looking out the window from our classroom into my neighborhood, when she said, "This is the only time this neighborhood looks good, when it is covered in white, you can't see all the trash>" Well, even back then that comment bothered me. I felt as I do today that her comment was racially motivated. I am sure that in her little mind she was really trying to say something negative about the people who lived in that area. The area was made up of Hispanic, black, Italian and some white families. After all she did not say how pretty everything looked covered in snow. She said with white all over it.

Now adays she would get in some serious trouble for her comment. I do remember telling my mother. She just told me she probably doesn't like it around here. I am sure she felt what I was feeling but she did not want to stir up my emotions. I could get pretty crazy even as a kid.

Actually, when I give it some thought, many things that were said and done back when I was in elementary school would not be tolerated by students or parents, in some cases even the law.

Oh well, the snow is nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment